Our SchoolDr. Howard Elementary is a dynamic environment where students, teachers, families, and the community work together to create a 21st Century educational experience that is engaging and meaningful.
Responsive Classroom is a research-based education approach associated with greater teacher effectiveness, higher student achievement, and improved school climate. Responsive Classroom practice help educators build competencies in four key domains - each of which enables and enriches the others:
- Engaging Academics - Teachers create learning tasks that are active, interactive, appropriately challenging, purposeful, and connected to students' interests.
- Positive Community - Teachers nurture a sense of belonging, significance, and emotional safety so that students feel comfortable taking risks and working with a variety of peers.
- Effective Management - Teachers create a calm, orderly environment that promotes autonomy and allows students to focus on learning.
- Developmental Awareness - Teachers use knowledge of child development, along with observations of students, to create a developmentally appropriate learning environment.
Teachers who use the Responsive Classroom approach understand that all of children's needs - academic, social, emotional, and physical - are important. The teacher creates an environment that responds to all of those needs so that your child can do his or her best learning.
News from Unit 4
- Celebrating National African American Parent Involvement Day (NAAPID) on February 12
- Announcing the Director of Magnet Schools
- Champaign Unit 4 School District Hires Two Capital Projects Managers
- Kindergarten registration happening now through March 29
- Mark Your Calendar: Kindergarten Registration Begins January 1, 2018