Our SchoolDr. Howard Elementary is a dynamic environment where students, teachers, families, and the community work together to create a 21st Century educational experience that is engaging and meaningful.
Responsive Classroom is a research-based education approach associated with greater teacher effectiveness, higher student achievement, and improved school climate. Responsive Classroom practice help educators build competencies in four key domains - each of which enables and enriches the others:
- Engaging Academics - Teachers create learning tasks that are active, interactive, appropriately challenging, purposeful, and connected to students' interests.
- Positive Community - Teachers nurture a sense of belonging, significance, and emotional safety so that students feel comfortable taking risks and working with a variety of peers.
- Effective Management - Teachers create a calm, orderly environment that promotes autonomy and allows students to focus on learning.
- Developmental Awareness - Teachers use knowledge of child development, along with observations of students, to create a developmentally appropriate learning environment.
Teachers who use the Responsive Classroom approach understand that all of children's needs - academic, social, emotional, and physical - are important. The teacher creates an environment that responds to all of those needs so that your child can do his or her best learning.
News from Unit 4
- Monday, August 21 Central Will Dismiss Early
- Board of Education Approves Alison Hampton, Dr. Howard Assistant Principal
- Central and Centennial Graduates Recognized for Biliteracy
- Champaign Unit 4 is Seeking Applications for Membership on the Education Equity Excellence Committee (EEE).
- Back to School Event at Frances Nelson